Wait and See.  

Posted by Derek in

I dream a dream upon which I stand all alone in the midst of darkness. In the enveloping care of the void, I see no one and no thing near or around me. Unsure of my footing, unsure of what lies ahead of me, I slowly take minute steps, inching my way into the unknown. Almost tentatively and timidly, I resolve to test out the surroundings and get a feel for where I’m at. As I forge my path incrementally against the darkness, light beings to creep towards where I am. It’s not an overwhelming flood of light, but rather a modicum of light, as if a wicked witch with her long bony fingers were stretching out to grab hold of someone. As I near the eerie light source, I see that it is in fact a conglomerate of different by equal lights, each escaping out the open doors from whence they came.

Still feeling uncomfortable, but a little more secure with the flooding light from all directions, I increase my stride to see what in the world this madness is all about. Passing each open door, I see glimpses of different things, each amazingly different than the next. To my left is a kid who became a dodgeball champion on the playground. On my right, the scene behind the door is of another child who was a complete genius in the academic department, never failing a single item in his schoolwork. Moving forward, there exists another scene in which pre-adolescent youngster is sweating with fright as he asks a girl out. Conversely, another door shows a teenager who has given up on the hopes of education, but has rather chosen to indulge in drugs and alcohol to pass the time.

Yet, as I pass every showing behind these doors, they automatically slam shut, the crack of the door seemingly to emphasize the new restricted details of what lay behind those once open doors. Simultaneously, several doors ahead of me also have slammed shut, their light going out in a quick whisper as their passage has suddenly become inhibited. Trekking forward, the interspersed number of open and closed doors limit the number of views I can take in. But before I’m able to take a closer look, I’m knocked to the floor from behind. The guilty party, a man dressed nicely in a suit with a well-polished suitcase, continues running ahead, yelling “Sorry” as he barely even registers my existence. He grabs onto the frame of one of the doors and, using his momentum, swings himself into his destination. I pick myself up and rush ahead, wanting to see what his rush was all about. Arriving in the nick of time, I can just make out his exasperated breath, as he utters his apology for being late. Then this door slams shut in my face too.

A strange whirlwind of events, I think to myself. I check back to see if any other strange beings should rush me unawares. Seeing nothing, I shrug it off and continue on this path, unsure of where I’m really headed. Passing another open door, I’m again knocked to the ground, this time not by some one but by some thing. An explosion of sorts, I muse. A strange figure with thick goggles and burned frizzly hair comes out. “Sorry my dear boy. You know these crazy chemicals, always temperamental; you never know what’ll happen next,” he says, as he returns to his place and closes the door behind him. Completely perplexed by the randomness of the two adjacent scenes, I dust myself off, warily placing one foot in front of another as I still go on ahead.

Looking into the next open door, I see a scene unfolding between two men sitting with a nice ornate desk separating them. “I’m terribly sorry,” says the man with the exquisitely stitched suit. “You’ve been a great asset to this company, but we just can’t pay a high school graduate more than what the guy with the Masters Degree is making. I’m sure you understand.” The other figure opposite him, dressed definitely less neatly than the first speaker, mumbled his dejected reply, as his entire body language obviously gave away. And again, the door closes in my face.

Starting to make some sense of the strangeness of my predicament, I proceed to see what else awaits behind the open doors that lay ahead of me. I stop at a point, as I notice that the scenes to the left and right of me are completely identical. There’s a group of people gathered behind each door, both groups consisting of the same people. Both parties seem to having a great time chilling and hanging out, enjoying life. To my left though, one guy walks over to one of the girls and starts striking up a single conversation with her, outside of the group dynamics. To my right, there’s that same girl sitting there, but the guy in the other scene is just interacting with the group as a whole, not completely focused on her. Wait. He’s starting to leave his seat and move over next to her. But, hold up. Another guy beats him to it and engages the girl in conversation first. Trying to get a better look at the details of each figure shown, I squint to see if I notice anything specific. But why these two separate by similar scenes?

Next thing I know, I’m jolted awake by a rather cacophonous noise. It’s the damned alarm again, signaling the start of another wonderful glorious day. This rude awakening scatters all of my organized thoughts collected through this past little journey. We’ll see what the day brings in order to help me make some sense out of it all.

12.31.09, 7.44-8.42pm
=====
Prolly not as well written as I desired. Ehz.

This entry was posted on December 31, 2009 at Thursday, December 31, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment